The main work of the council is pastoral planning, but many councils mistakenly think that the job is to coordinate a system of committees. To learn more about the purpose, click on one of the links below:
- Standing committees. Should pastoral councils spend their time coordinating them?
- Democratic councils. They share responsibility, grow in wisdom, and benefit pastors.
- Finance councils. The financial tail should not wag the pastoral dog.
- Parish budgets. Pastors usually consult the Finance Council when making budgets, but the pastoral council should understand the budget process.
- Council of ministries. It takes time and expertise to coordinate ministries and committees.